Monday, November 21, 2016

The Fall of 2016

This past summer was another hot one. Connie worked on our in-ground pool and it continued to cause problems. I was in it only twice, while Allie and Ellen both were it in early in the summer. Of course Allie and Ben are now married and have their own home in Richmond, VA. It's a two story home with an attic. Lot's of rooms with a small back yard. Connie and I looked at flight schedules and costs for me to fly out to visit David in ABQ New Mexico. I flew out there and stayed 4 days; went riding horses, viewed the awesome scenery and drove down the mountain side from where David lives, down into ABQ. The people living there are mostly Latino and their food is hot and spicy. I needed a wheel chair when in the Atlanta Airport and it was strange to be pushed around, riding on trams below ground and back up in elevators. Our friend Meg from Workcamp had white oak trees cut down, and Jim Donivan brought two big loads and dumped one in the circle and one on the side hill. Eventually we started the log-splitter and our four wheeler with a trailer behind it. Even my chain saw was working. A friend on mine, a former Marine and his son helped with the whole process a couple of times and now we have stacks of wood off our deck and stacked up back in our woods. Connie is busy with another Workcamp. Assessing houses, sending out letters, etc. We've already had one executive Board meeting and a larger meeting to assess last years camp. I finished being Interim Pastor at First Christian Church after 11 months. Julie's youngest daughter, Chelsie was married outside on the lawn of her sister's home, Lindsey Van Hounten My daughter Anne has had surgery on her shoulder and is just now getting to where she can go back to work. Her son Jordon was in an automobile accident and is still on the mend. Thanksgiving is in just a few days. My favorite holiday of all of them. We will be celebrating with Ben, Allie, Jeffery, Ellen Rose and the two of us. In the stores Christmas sales are already out...and Christmas music can be heard in the mauls. The Presidential Election is over. Donald Trump will be our next President. This has caused quite a stir nation-wide; many though Hillary Clinton would win...so the next few months will tell us if all the Trump has promised...will he fulfill those same promises. Connie and I are here alone in our home now; except for our Yorky, "Louie". He sleeps between us and gets up a few times during the night. I'm still the Chaplain for Carson Fire Department. Two nights ago two fire-trucks came down our road and stopped at one of our neighbors who told me that he had smelled propane gas; three of the firefighters I knew. The wind was blowing at lot and one firefighter told me he thought it might be a brush fire. It was then that I noticed I still had on the bottoms of my PJs. I has been taking a nap when Connie woke me and told me she heard sirens...so I jumped out of bed, put on a pair of socks and sneakers and from there, jumped into my car...Oh well, at least I was there. Looking ahead to the winter months; we'll be using our wood stove a lot. Already up in Moravia NY there is a lot of snow and windy conditions. Val and her sisters post back and forth on Fb and so I keep informed. I close this blog with hopes that I will one day have written a book. You know, everyone has a story to tell, I do and you do too. Perhaps someday people will read about people like us; as we have read about people in our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment