Wednesday, December 10, 2014

JUDGMENT

Judgment is a word used a lot in the Bible and also in every day life.  In our modern society as well as during Bible times, people were appointed as judges. In these cases, judges are bound by the law of the land, to decide whether or not a person is guilt of breaking the laws which they society has deemed appropriate.

The problem with this is, that different parts of the world have a very different idea of what is right and what is wrong. Therefore, what is wrong in one nation, is right in another nation.  But the whole notion behind making a judgment, is what is justice.

In our Pledge of Allegiance to our Flag; it concludes with "Liberty and Justice for all".  Here in America most judges are appointed, and that is a political decision.  Our Supreme Court members are appointed by our President and confirmed by our Congress.

But just looking at the word "Judgment" there is generally the idea of punishment.  That punishment can even carry the death penalty.  But, it the light of the Biblical meaning, it can also mean "to straighten something out".  God's judgment is to straighten us out.  He uses what the New Testament term "chastisement", and compares a human father's punishment to our Heavenly Father's punishment.  Out human fathers punish us to satisfy themselves, that is, to make a judgment of whether his child has done right or wrong.  Our Heavenly Father uses punishment in order to turn us around and to go the right way.  He will use any means to train His children to learn to do the right thing, as He showed us through His Son, Jesus Christ.  So, as a Christian, my Heavenly Father desires, not to hurt me by beating me, by rather, applies many ways to push us into the right direction.

If you ever gone astray as a Christian, then you probably found out that He will let you go on your own, until you become so sick with guilt, that you repent and return back into a right relationship with God. 

Jesus set us an example for this Himself.  He learned by His own sufferings.  I can't say that Jesus sinned, but He was tempted to commit every sin a human could ever commit.  So Jesus suffered from that temptation, and even one of His last words on His cross, was "Father, have you too forsaken me?"  He was just a human being there dying in His cross, and so being true to that part of His human nature, He was in some doubt that His Father would abandon Him in His greatest time of need.

Yes, for me, to be judged of God is much better than to be judged by men.  God knows all about me, understands me better than I understand myself; so, even though I may fear what will be His decision, I'm much better off, trusting my Heavenly Father to deal with me...and I believe that His grace and unconditional love will not do anything else, but to bring me into a better place with God, with myself, and with my society.

No comments:

Post a Comment