Friday, January 16, 2015

The Human Brain

I remembering writing something recently, "My brain has a mind of it's own.

I think our brains control everything in our human bodies, such as all our internal organs, with exception to itself.  I think what controls our thoughts is our own free will.  I can either think about one thing, or think about something else.  I have power over my own thoughts.  This enables me to read books and imagine that I'm one of the characters in the book.  I can read poems and think about how the writer of that poem felt has the writer was writing that poem.

I can visualize myself talking with someone and planning on what to say, when I actually do talk to that person.  I can play music inside my thoughts, and hum along with it and pretend that I'm the one who is singing that beautiful song.

I can be watching a basketball game, and pretend that I'm the referee, and say out loud, "That's not a foul, he didn't even touch the other player!" I can imagine that I'm the point guard and I'm running and passing the ball to another team mate who then scores two points.  I can lay down bunts as a baseball player and run to first base and easily beat the throw.

When I go to bed, I can turn through the many memories of days past, and select the one I want to help me go to sleep that night.  I can reject those which will keep me awake or become angry for what I remember from my past.  When I'm asleep and start dreaming...I can realize I'm dreaming something I don't like, and arouse myself, realize that I've  just had a bad dream, then go back to sleep again.

Yes, my brain does have a mind of it's own. 

I wonder someday if someone will be able to calculate all the thoughts that pass through one brain each day.  I think that's what brains do; they create out thoughts, intentions, even if our thoughts are about starting our cars, or brushing our teeth.  What do people think about as they're brushing their teeth?  Or walking into their kitchen, what thoughts does their brain bring out....probably what they should do first, or perhaps what they do by mere habit.  It's not without any thought, that I open the refrigerator door, glance around for something to eat, make a decision....all do by using my brain.

So, throughout each day, our brains are producing thoughts; some people use their time to pray...and their thoughts turn to God, and the Holy Books, and find a certain peace from those activities.  However, those actions, and that final emotion of peace, is the product of our brains.

When I go to sleep at night, my brain must also need to rest; it has been real busy all day long, and numerous thoughts have finally tired my brain, so that it too, longs to rest.  It does rest, but often is busy dreaming dreams, which I think is a carry-over of the activities of the day or days piled up...it tries to figure them out, but it's sleeping, and those thoughts do not usually make much sense.

So early in the morning, we I first wake up, my brain is fresh and thinking thoughts is easy, so it's then that I think my best thoughts.  It's then that I enjoy my brain's work.  The minister is likely to study then, and good thoughts come quickly, and matching them to Scripture just seems to flow out very easily.

The business person probably makes plans for the up-coming tasks which the workman would like to complete by the end of the day.

Mothers, fathers, children, even little infants spend their days thinking thoughts.

As we grow older, each day, a few of our brain cells die....old age leads us to spend a great deal of time remembering what has happened to us and others as the years have slipped by...straining, like giving birth to a baby, trying to get a good memory out, that's not an embellishment of the truth....but nailing it down...and writing it down, so that years later they can be read to the children which will no doubt delight to hear those old memories....both good and bad ones.

It is time for me to stop think these thoughts about our brains and how they work.  But perhaps, if you read this blog, you too, will become more aware of your own brains...and enjoy knowing that it is your brain that has a mind of it's own.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment